Login or Register to hide advertisements

SCHUMANN vs GRIEG Piano Concerto

Music composed between 1815 and 1910, excluding Chopin: Liszt, Mendelssohn, etc.

SCHUMANN vs GRIEG Piano Concerto

Postby Jhon » 26 May 2005, 16:18

I'm posting this topic in lieu of the many resemblances between these two concertos - resemblances which are in the first place backed-up by the popular notion that Grieg COPIED from Schumann! (Grieg is about 40 years older than Schumann). Whether this is true or not, one thing for sure is that each concerto has something ORIGINAL. In fact, I DON'T agree that Grieg copied from Schumann - it's safer to say he was just "INSPIRED" from him. Anyway, tell in this thraed which concerto do you prefer and why. But first, here are some of my (subjective) comparisons among the two (in specific aspects):

DIFFICULTY
Generally, I believe it takes more stamina to play the Grieg one.

DEVELOPMENT (in the 1st movement)
Schumann's is much longer, with melodies artitically created - I'm referring to the Passionato section just before the return to the main theme. Grieg's is too short - almsot lacks transition.

CADENZA
Grieg's is longer and more pompous - and is more difficult!

FINALE/CODA
Grieg's has a very beautiful one. Schumann's has but almost unnoticed since its 3rd movement is way too "linear" in terms of its mood.

I almost preferred the Grieg PC but I just couldn't. It is too SHOW-OFF in many areas and this but ANNOYS me! I would love the Schumann PC more. Tell me your preference.
Jhon
Registered Musician

Postby Max » 26 May 2005, 17:27

I would say Schumann, maybe to sound more educated, but the Grieg really is just a really good piano concerto.

yeah...about jeff, he has this TINY cock, lol hes so fucking stupid too
Max
Registered Musician

Postby Jhon » 27 May 2005, 04:01

I agree. Schumann's PC sounds more "educated" and Grieg's is just too "showy" to be such.
Jhon
Registered Musician

Postby lol_nl » 03 Feb 2006, 12:39

Schumann. Grieg's is a very nice one, but it is not a work I would suspect from him and I think Schumann's is just better written. I like the 2nd part of the Schumann concerto quite a lot :).
lol_nl
Registered Musician

Re: SCHUMANN vs GRIEG Piano Concerto

Postby Ivory Tickler » 28 Aug 2007, 15:54

Grieg was 33 years Younger than Schumann. I think.
Ivory Tickler
Registered Musician

Return to Romantic Period