Login or Register to hide advertisements

Favorite Beethoven Sonata

Music composed between 1730 and 1820: Beethoven, Mozart, etc.

Favorite Sonata?

Pathetique
29%
Moonlight
7%
Pastoral
7%
Les Adieux
4%
The Tempest
11%
Waldstein
7%
Appassionata
21%
Hammerklavier
14%

Total votes : 28

Postby beethoven » 29 Aug 2004, 00:05

Philip Daniel wrote:
beethoven wrote:I'm interested to see what you people think about Op.111?

It's one of the most subjective and personal pieces in Beethoven's ouvre, and I find every single note compelling and beautiful; in fact, it is hard not to be drawn to the beauties of Beethoven's many sonatas & variations for piano, but this one is special :wink:. The passion of the first movement and the grace of the arietta that follows are very touching, and Beethoven's craftmanship in the variations form he uses to achieve his means in both movements is unsurpassed. The contrapuntal ingenuity of movement one that precedes the cantabile melodiousness of movement two can be analogized to the idea of Beethoven looking back to the strict classicism of Bach, Handel, Haydn, and his teachers Neefe and Albrechtsberger and forward to the free emotional outpourings in music that would characterize much of the romantic period.

Wow, I wonder what you get in Literature? :roll:

I love the first movement, the canonic imitations, and in general the fugual style of Beethoven is shown at it's hight I believe.
beethoven
Registered Musician

Postby Philip Daniel » 29 Aug 2004, 00:11

beethoven wrote:
Philip Daniel wrote:
beethoven wrote:I'm interested to see what you people think about Op.111?

It's one of the most subjective and personal pieces in Beethoven's ouvre, and I find every single note compelling and beautiful; in fact, it is hard not to be drawn to the beauties of Beethoven's many sonatas & variations for piano, but this one is special :wink:. The passion of the first movement and the grace of the arietta that follows are very touching, and Beethoven's craftmanship in the variations form he uses to achieve his means in both movements is unsurpassed. The contrapuntal ingenuity of movement one that precedes the cantabile melodiousness of movement two can be analogized to the idea of Beethoven looking back to the strict classicism of Bach, Handel, Haydn, and his teachers Neefe and Albrechtsberger and forward to the free emotional outpourings in music that would characterize much of the romantic period.

Wow, I wonder what you get in Literature? :roll:
I love the first movement, the canonic imitations, and in general the fugual style of Beethoven is shown at it's hight I believe.

Are you being sarcastic?
But, anyway, yes; the first movement of opus 111 is one of contrapuntal mastery.
Philip Daniel
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Postby Max » 22 Sep 2004, 17:53

None of the above.

I like op.14 no.2 best.
Max
Registered Musician

Postby calebrw » 08 Nov 2004, 22:09

out of those i have to say "The Tempest", but i general, i perfer the Piano and Cello Sonata No. 3 in A Minor, speciffically movement 2: Scherzo. Allegro Molto
calebrw
Registered Musician

Postby beethoven » 09 Nov 2004, 06:34

calebrw wrote:out of those i have to say "The Tempest", but i general, i perfer the Piano and Cello Sonata No. 3 in A Minor, speciffically movement 2: Scherzo. Allegro Molto

I love all of Beethoven cello sonatas. I've got an amazing DVD of Richter/Rostropovich playing complete cello sonatas. I'll try to rip it if you want.
beethoven
Registered Musician

Postby aout4 » 09 Nov 2004, 10:13

I vote for pathetique... I love the 2nd movement.....I once said it "sounded" sad for me....
aout4
miss small hands rachopininoff lover

Postby Max » 28 Nov 2004, 18:44

I changed my mind to the opus 28, I'm polishing it and I have to say its awesome.
Max
Registered Musician

Postby SteinwayModelD » 28 Nov 2004, 21:27

Op.111
SteinwayModelD
Registered Musician

Postby An!ma` » 29 Nov 2004, 08:46

SteinwayModelD wrote:Op.111

Agreed, best Beethoven sonata of the whole lot, imo.
An!ma`
Registered Musician

Postby aMaDeUs » 02 Feb 2005, 16:14

op.109&op.106
aMaDeUs
Registered Musician

Postby Amnesia » 11 Mar 2005, 06:14

I have recently begun to really appreciate The Tempest sonata, particularly the 3rd movement. It' so beautiful, I just love the way the melody flows along.

It's funny how your taste in music/pieces can change with time. One day you can hear something and think nothing of it, but then in due time you begin to admire and appreciate the underlying beauty...
Amnesia
Registered Musician

Postby Chozart » 11 Mar 2005, 14:57

Amnesia wrote:I have recently begun to really appreciate The Tempest sonata, particularly the 3rd movement. It' so beautiful, I just love the way the melody flows along.

It's funny how your taste in music/pieces can change with time. One day you can hear something and think nothing of it, but then in due time you begin to admire and appreciate the underlying beauty...

I had a Beethoven and Chopin thing back in 9th grade, and the Tempest was one of my "obsess" pieces, lol. You're right, the third movement is really beautiful.
I randomly started playing it at school this Wednesday after I had finished my last final exam. Everyone else had already gone home, but I had to stay about another hour waiting for my ride, so I made good use of it by printing its sheet music and spending time in a practice room. Good stuff :)
I can't believe I had just left it for so long (yar I was ridiculously and insanely re-captivated by Bach and Mozart). Now returning to it evokes a great nostalgia.
Chozart
"Brendel-like" Mozart & Bach fanatic

Postby Sightreader » 11 Mar 2005, 16:50

My favorite is always the one in which I am playing. 8)
Sightreader
Registered Musician

Postby Jeliness2 » 12 Mar 2005, 22:29

"The Hunt" is one of my favorites too. Op. 31 no.3 i think
Jeliness2
Moderato(r)
Moderato(r)

Postby calebrw » 13 Mar 2005, 10:36

you are indeed right

http://www.classiccat.net/beethoven_l_van/31-3.htm

PS: PS, (lol) you should offer to redo their site for them...
calebrw
Registered Musician

PreviousNext

Return to Classical Period