Login or Register to hide advertisements

Chopin Etude 10/1 again

Upload your recordings and have them critiqued by other musicians!

Chopin Etude 10/1 again

Postby PJF » 02 Apr 2007, 23:10

http://www.mediafire.com/?2odtnivokwj

Yay! I finally broke 1:57!

I played this today for recital hour. I get a feeling Elf is going to like this. :lol:
Last edited by PJF on 03 Apr 2007, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
Per Sapientiam Felicitas!

Pete
PJF
Registered Musician

Postby elvenpianist » 03 Apr 2007, 15:01

Whoa. I do approve indeed- most highly. 8)

Congrats on a great performance! Very effective and exciting throughout.

-elf
~Clara Glennette Georgiana Fiorkapatti

"Those little weirdnesses... Schumann- QUIRKY!" -David Dubal

"I am convinced that Bach is the greatest genius who ever walked among us." -Douglas Adams
elvenpianist
Anglophile elf lass

Postby PJF » 03 Apr 2007, 18:50

I knew you'd like it! :lol:

A bit of backstory, in the week up to the recital, I paced around the room deciding on a tempo. I told myself, "no matter what I choose, three things can happen. I could choose a slow tempo and concentrate only on the harmonics and musical expression; I knew the audience would have loved it. My second choice was to play it a tempo of 176. (The audience would get a thrill!) This faster speed is unstable, like a coin balancing on edge.

Worst case was to choose the faster tempo, get excited from the stage fright and the tempo runs away from me, leaving little more than a cramped wrist and a great jumble of dischord.

I took a huge leap of faith here. I had chosen 176 as the tempo. I've never been so nervous in all my life (I almost paniced and almost fled the auditorium)

During the performance, my main concern was over-thinking. I think it went pretty well.
:D

Thanks Elf! :D

Pete
PJF
Registered Musician

Postby zeniyama » 04 Apr 2007, 20:28

I like it! I've always loved this Etude, it's my 4th favourite (Below Revolutionary, Butterfly, and Tristesse), and you did a great job of playing it. You get a pat on the back!
"Music is the silence between the notes."
-Claude Debussy
"Art is not an end in itself, but a means of addressing humanity."
-Modest Mussorgsky
"Music is an outburst of the soul."
-Frederick Delius
zeniyama
Registered Musician

Postby PJF » 04 Apr 2007, 21:39

:mrgreen:

I've come to love this piece.

Thanks guys!

Pete
PJF
Registered Musician

10/1 WOW!!!

Postby PJF » 04 Apr 2007, 23:07

OK, wtf? My little recital day before yesterday apparantly did some fine-tuning. I recorded this today, about an hour ago. I added reverb.

This one's for you, Elf!

Huzzah!

:D

Here it is!

http://www.mediafire.com/?b0tjinhjmin

Pete
PJF
Registered Musician

Postby elvenpianist » 05 Apr 2007, 21:49

...................wow.

*bows very very low*

That's a keeper- GREAT recording. And auw, it's dedicated to me! ;)

-elf
~Clara Glennette Georgiana Fiorkapatti

"Those little weirdnesses... Schumann- QUIRKY!" -David Dubal

"I am convinced that Bach is the greatest genius who ever walked among us." -Douglas Adams
elvenpianist
Anglophile elf lass

Postby PJF » 06 Apr 2007, 00:22

You're very welcome, elf! I really admire your own playing; it has a certain character that shines. With time, the sky's your limit! I wish you all the best in your pianistic pursuits.

When I started work on the Chopin etudes, it seemed more likely for me to sprout wings and fly 'round the world than to ever go full tempo on the 10/1; I'm totally psyched! Hopefully, I'll manage to pull off the Chopin E minor concerto with similar success, (crosses all ten fingers in rabid anticipation).

If I think about the first time I sat down at the piano 15 years ago, I've come so far, I don't recognize myself. The first twelve years were so difficult, the endless hours of practice, the dozens upon dozens of books studied, the hundreds, nay, thousands of pages of words scribbled, reams of staff paper and loose-leaf consumed, I've put myself on a higher plane.

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure how I played that fast. I think I had one of those self-actualizing moments where time slows down and everything was in a state of laminar flow. I can't explain the intensity of my feelings while I played it; it's like I was made of light...I hope I don't sound crazy...maybe I had to go a little crazy to do it. I don't know, if this is crazy, I don't want to be sane!

(I think I'd better get some sleep.) :lol:

Relaxedly,
Pete

Pete
PJF
Registered Musician

Postby zeniyama » 06 Apr 2007, 18:04

Wow, it sounds almost like a MIDI recording (what I mean is that it's very accurate, and smoothe sounding), way better than I could do at this point in time (I'll give it about 2 years or so, seeing as it took me about a year to get from the level of the Childrens corner to Drei Klavierstucke).
"Music is the silence between the notes."
-Claude Debussy
"Art is not an end in itself, but a means of addressing humanity."
-Modest Mussorgsky
"Music is an outburst of the soul."
-Frederick Delius
zeniyama
Registered Musician

Postby PJF » 06 Apr 2007, 21:21

zeniyama wrote:Wow, it sounds almost like a MIDI recording (what I mean is that it's very accurate, and smoothe sounding), way better than I could do at this point in time (I'll give it about 2 years or so, seeing as it took me about a year to get from the level of the Childrens corner to Drei Klavierstucke).

Thanks! I worked long and hard at getting it as even as possible. I'm really happy with the way it turned out. That's one down, 26 to go! :lol: :cry:

Give yourself time, you're only 15! I envy you youngsters.

Pete
PJF
Registered Musician

Re: Chopin Etude 10/1 again

Postby Drummer06 » 06 Jun 2007, 20:24

That Was Amazing you sound just like the Pros. Keep up the awesome Work.
Drummer06
Registered Musician

Postby citrine_peridot » 08 Jun 2007, 23:30

I suppose that he is kind of of a pro compare to rest of us[of course koji, who got a doc from "jailiard", is not included] since he has a BA and Master degree in piano...or I remember it wrong
citrine_peridot
The "Pedal-Eater"

Postby PJF » 07 Jul 2007, 23:18

I'm glad everyone is enjoying it! I'll have to wait a few more years for the Doctorate, but congratulations to Maestro Atwood. Am I a pro? Well...maybe close to it. I'm still evolving. I don't like labels. I am A PIANIST and I love every second!

It took so long to get the tempo up in the stratosphere, I won't play it THAT fast for many years. I've got the other etudes to record, before I reach the age of 30. (That's my goal and I'm sticking to it!)

Pete

Pete
PJF
Registered Musician

Return to Audition Room