Login or Register to hide advertisements

Chopin Black key etude

Upload your recordings and have them critiqued by other musicians!

Chopin Black key etude

Postby PJF » 07 Jul 2007, 23:50

Here's another take of the 10-5.
Attachments
chopin-10-5-fournet.mp3
Pierre Fournet plays Chopin Etude 10-5
(1.81 MiB) Downloaded 219 times
Per Sapientiam Felicitas!

Pete
PJF
Registered Musician

Re: Chopin Black key etude

Postby PianistSk8er » 08 Jul 2007, 14:02

Very well done!

I would look for a greater dynamic range in the first page. You know, those first three staccato notes of the left hand should be emphasized. Basically, I'd emphasize the contrast between f and p. And in terms of dynamics the ending should really stand out. Perhaps it was the recording (or the piano), but it seemed to me like this could be improved somewhat. In any case, it sounds great. Congratulations!

It's a lot of fun to play, isn't it? ;) Watch out for my recording, which is coming soon... not that it will be worthy of any competition. :P

PS
PianistSk8er
Violin Concerto Enthusiast
Violin Concerto Enthusiast

Postby Drummer06 » 08 Jul 2007, 20:54

Yo..How Long did it take You to learn that? It was Incredible! :shock:
It was always a happy day when...YYZ appeared on our Luggage Tags. -Neil Peart

אם אתה לא נכשל, מאשר שאתה לא מנסה ׃ - ריטה
Drummer06
Registered Musician

Postby PJF » 08 Jul 2007, 23:34

PianistSk8er wrote:Very well done!

I would look for a greater dynamic range in the first page. You know, those first three staccato notes of the left hand should be emphasized. Basically, I'd emphasize the contrast between f and p. And in terms of dynamics the ending should really stand out. Perhaps it was the recording (or the piano), but it seemed to me like this could be improved somewhat. In any case, it sounds great. Congratulations!

It's a lot of fun to play, isn't it? ;) Watch out for my recording, which is coming soon... not that it will be worthy of any competition. :P

PS

Thanks guys!

My recorder is an Edirol R-09; I noticed one little quirk is its tendency to level the volume.

I agree that the performance, while very well formed, is missing something. I think that this "homogenized" sound is due to my tempo (which pushes 120+ in a couple places). I find it extremely difficult to extract any more contrast from my piano at that speed.

This piece IS a great deal of fun to play. Faster, faster, and yet again...faster! Now that I've pegged my speedometer, I look forward to other pieces. I imagine that in ten or twenty years, I'll be able to approach the etudes from an entirely new direction, both technically and artistically.

That brings me to the question of how long I practiced it...off and on for a couple of years; it materialized very, VERY gradually (I like to use the "oak tree from an acorn" analogy). This piece (and nearly all of Chopin's) are lifetime pieces. I consider this recording as somewhat of an endpoint. I won't revisit the notion of re-evaluation until I've managed to produce similar results with all the other etudes. Any additional practice would produce diminishing returns.

I look forward to hearing your performance, PS!
Per Sapientiam Felicitas!

Pete
PJF
Registered Musician

Postby Drummer06 » 09 Jul 2007, 22:17

That Awesome Man. I can hardly find time to Practice what I got.
It was always a happy day when...YYZ appeared on our Luggage Tags. -Neil Peart

אם אתה לא נכשל, מאשר שאתה לא מנסה ׃ - ריטה
Drummer06
Registered Musician

Return to Audition Room